One of the greatest gifts you can give yourself is love. When you love yourself, comfortability (mental, emotional, social, and so on) is one of the things you seek consistently. Most times, you are expected to learn to love yourself. So, how do you channel this love towards self-help or self-improvement? Self-help is seen as a process or the action of bettering yourself or battling/ coping with your life’s challenges (personal or emotional problems) without the assistance of others. This is one of the different plausible ways to deal with some life’s issues.
Love is required for personal growth, fulfilling your dreams, living healthy, and great interpersonal relationships. Sometimes, you may need to seek why you experience some mental health conditions such as anxiety and depression, and how to overcome them. This is one of the things you do to show that you love yourself.
What are the Steps to Take to Help yourself?
It is advisable, if you crave for improvement in different ways, to observe the following life-changing self-help techniques:
- Always have positive thinking and mindset: The love you have for yourself will always make you focus on the good part of your life— your talents, good behaviours, great relationships, and how you’ve influenced other people’s life positively. In order to improve your emotional/mental health, you need your brain to be on the normal side. You must ensure that your brain constantly processes the good things you’ve done in your life. Always see yourself as lovely, responsible, and worthwhile.
- Be good to yourself: The kind of feelings you have is sometimes determined by how you treat your body. Ensure you do things that make you feel good. To be happy, a normal state of health is essential— you must eat a balanced diet and observe enough sleep regularly.
- Stop comparing yourself to others: You must stop giving yourself unnecessary stress by comparing yourself to other people. You should try to see yourself as unique and exceptional— find what makes you special, unique, or different and embrace, love, and celebrate it. Be proud of your achievements (small or big).
- Cut off every toxic relationship: Not everyone is fit to be part of your life’s journey. There are people that contribute to the negative feelings you have about yourself. You must stop associating yourself with people that make you look down on yourself. If not, it may affect your mental health. You should endeavor to surround yourself with people that can help your health through encouragement and love— those who see the best in you.
- Heal your past emotional wounds and trauma: Healing yourself is very important. There is no point in carrying around the things of the past. And in fact, it can influence your mental health. Actually, you deserve better stories which you need to work towards.
- You must censor your inner voice: Sometimes, listening to the inner critic within you may be part of those things restricting you from living your life in full. Don’t be limited by your thoughts — sometimes, you may be wrong in your thinking. Engage yourself in different activities that can add value to you or make you feel better. Some of these may include writing, painting, sculpting, dancing, singing, building, and so on. Don’t stop learning and striving — follow your dreams with a passion to have a distinctive and expectable result.
- Have a heart of gratitude: Each day you get out of bed ensure you have something to be grateful for. This will help lift your spirit and shift your energy and mind around the things happening. Think about your life in general and focus on those things in your life that you are glad to have.
- Discover what makes you happy: One of the ways to combat mental illness is to find what can place you in the position of happiness. Discover that which makes you feel positive, calm, ease, happy, and on top of the world.
- Learn to relax: You don’t need anyone to help you relax. It is advisable that you take up a relaxation practice that will help lower your levels of stress. Some of the relaxation practices you can engage in include mindfulness meditation, yoga, progressive muscle relaxation, or deep breathing. All these will help stability the state of your mind and body.
- Learn to relieve your stress by managing your emotions: Your emotions have a lot to do with how you react to situations. You should try to understand and accept your emotions, including the unpleasant ones. This will effectively help to relieve you of stress and place you in proper moods.
- Create time to enjoy yourself: You should stop feeling as if you are carrying all the burdens of the whole world on your shoulders. You need to make your leisure time very pertinent. You should have time when you go see movies, partaking in the activities you like, listening to your favorite music, taking a walk on the beach, chat with a friend, or read an interesting book. The idea is to make you mentally and emotionally balanced.
How can BetterHelp Help you?
Sometimes, you may need to seek professional help to improve your emotional and mental health— it is important to know the appropriate time. The time may be when every step you take to help yourself with love fails to work as expected.
There are quite a number of online therapy platforms, such as BetterHelp, Talkspace, etc., that can motivate you to do better in caring well for yourself. At BetterHelp, there are compassionate and passionate professionals who are ready to help you live your life in a better and happier way every day. All you need is to seek ways to get in touch with them. To know more about BetterHelp, follow this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BetterHelp.There are different places you can get to meet with a licensed counselor— websites, mobile apps, Facebook pages, or Twitter pages.