A bass is a musical instrument that uses a bow to pluck the strings. It can be played as a single string instrument, or together with another bass to form an octave-augmented bass. A bass player is a person who plays the bass. Being one of the largest string instruments, the bass is an instrument with great acoustic power, although it is not very agile. The need to be agile means that most bass players are not interested in soloing over a full orchestral accompaniment. Modern professional players often play with a horn player and the classical bass sound involves extensive use of the bow for tone colour, and to fill out the sound as well as pizzicatos. Playing the bass is like an artist at work. You have to be present and attentive because it’s a very personal instrument that can’t be copied by other instruments—it has its personality. It’s a very sensitive instrument with its own set of challenges and rewards. If you’re a bass player, the world is your oyster. Find out what makes your instrument so special, by reading this collection of bass player quotes and sayings below.
Bass Player Quotes and Sayings
Bass players are like basslines: They’re catchy, unpredictable and irresistible. They don’t always get the credit they deserve, but they’re pretty cool. They can also make you fall in love with music all over again. They may be a little awkward at first, but it’s in their blood.
1. The bass is a unique and powerful instrument. A great player can make the bass sing, and a bad one can make it groan.
2. A bass player is an instrument that can inspire you to look at the world in a whole new way.
3. Double bass players deserve respect—not just for their music, but also for their ability to play standing up.
4. From the heart to the sound, the double bass is a bold instrument and an intricate, complex sound.
5. To play the double bass is to be both a human and a beast, an instrument, and a dancer.
6. Bass players love a challenge. Bass is a notoriously difficult instrument and bores people easily, but bass players from all over the world would take it any day of the week.
7. Bass players are like the groundhogs of the rock world. They keep an ear on the ground and know what’s coming next before it happens.
8. You must have a special connection with the bass if you can play it without thinking about it.
9. Someone once said that a double bass player is like a cat protecting its territory. He’s always on edge, watching out for anything that might intrude upon his turf.
10. Double bass players play with a lot of passion, a lot of heart and a lot of soul. They’re always working hard, and they have to be. The music is very intense, and they can get angry very easily.
11. When one musician says “this is the most beautiful thing I’ve ever played”, you know your double bass playing is pure magic.
12. There’s a double meaning to this. One, you’re going to have to learn how to play the bass guitar or take lessons. And two, you’ll want to practice for hours at a time.
13. You don’t have to be a double-bass player, but if you are one, you’d better make sure that you’re always in tune with your life.
14. The best part of being a bass player is the freedom to express oneself through music.
15. The bass player is the heart and soul of the band. He’s there to add that certain something to your music, he’s the one who appeals to the crowd, he’s always on stage and always in the spotlight and he never gets enough credit.
16. When you think of a bass player, you think of a musician who is strong, solid, and steady. When you play the bass, your stance and control are considered an art form.
17. A double bass player is a musician who plays two or more stringed instruments. Bass players work in many genres, from classical music to jazz and popular music.
18. The bass is one of the most versatile instruments in the world, combining power and precision with portability and ease of playing. That makes it ideal for a wide range of musical styles and genres. A versatile bassist can play anything from country to jazz to big band.
19. A bass player is like a river. Every note is different, but the flow never changes.
20. The bass player is an unsung hero of the music world. He helps to keep the rhythm and keeps things grooving.
21. A bass musician is a musical soul who blends beauty, warmth, and strength in a way that few other instruments can.
22. The best way to get better is to practice. The second best is to have a teacher. And the third best is a bass player.
23. There is nothing like playing bass to make you feel like a better person.
24. Bass players are the ultimate timekeepers, they can keep a beat in the dark, and keep it clear in the light.
25. Playing the double bass is like playing two instruments at once. My fingers are doing the work of four, my arms are doing the work of eight, and my heart is doing the work of sixteen.
26. A bass player’s role is to create a harmonic foundation for the other instruments and vocals. I’m here to make sure that harmony is clear and strong, regardless of how loud or soft the song gets.
27. Never let the sound of your voice dictate your musical goals. Always play what you want to hear, and that’s what will make you happy, and keep a jam going.
28. Procrastination and laziness – are two of the most dangerous things in life. You don’t want to be one of these people and end up with a bass in your closet.
29. The best part of performing live is you get to meet so many awesome and interesting people. You’re guaranteed to have a great time with every show.
30. A double bass player is a musician who plays two basses, one on each side of the stage.
31. A bass player is not a jazz musician, but rather an instrument that requires a great deal of precision and technique.
32. Playing bass is like breathing. It takes practice and concentration to do it well. You have to put in the hours, so you can see the results.
33. A bass player is usually found in the background, but when they’re front and centre, they’re at their best.
34. Your bass is not just a tool. It’s an extension of your hands and the music that you play. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.
35. Bass players are musicians in their own right, but they also have a sense of humour.
36. A bass player is like a co-pilot to the orchestra. She is there to provide strength and energy despite her tiny stature.
37. When you are a bass player, all of the world’s greatest composers want to write for you.
38. A bass player is an artist with instruments. Musician, composer and arranger; a unique musician, who uses the bass as both an addition to his arsenal of instruments, and as a primary instrument in its own right.
39. A bass player’s job is to be in the right place at the right time. That’s why you’ll see us often backstage and on set—basking in the brilliance of our music, acting as cheerleaders for each other, and making sure our bandmates are feeling their best.
40. The bass player is the backbone of any band, be it a jam session or a full-fledged performance.
41. Bass players are the real deal. They’re not just tone-heavy, they’re also full of personality and personality is what sets you apart from the crowd.
42. Bass players are the ones that you have to listen to when you don’t have anything else to do.
43. The bass is the most versatile instrument in the orchestra. Once you learn to play it, you can do everything else.
44. A bass player is like a thread in a sweater. You can’t see it, but it connects everything.
45. A double bassist is like a collage of contradictions: flexible, strong, and delicate. The instrument’s sound is as gentle as a caress, yet its drive is relentless.
46. Playing bass is a skill that demands precision, passion, and focus.
47. To achieve a certain sound, the bass player must be in touch with his body and soul.
48. A bass is a proud and beautiful instrument, but the player behind it is even more so. They are the most powerful force in music.
49. Playing bass is like riding a bicycle. You never forget how, but it takes a while to get the balance right.
50. One of the hardest things to do is play bass. There is no offset; there are just too many strings.
51. Playing the bass is all about melody, rhythm, and groove. It’s a two-handed instrument with a lower range than the cello, but a higher range than the bass guitar. It’s not for everyone.
52. When you play bass, you’re more than the notes. You are a vessel—a messenger that carries the message of beauty, emotion and hope.
53. Bass players tend to play in a very, very confined room. It’s almost like a fishbowl, and we can’t go anywhere else, so it’s about trying to create a sound that travels everywhere.
54. A bass player is a musical chameleon. He/she can play any style with ease, yet maintain a certain style of their own.
55. A bass player is a lot like a rock star in that he has to be more than just his instrument. He has to be able to connect with people.
56. Playing the bass is a challenge that requires long hours, consistency, and good health—but it also brings joy and music appreciation.
57. Loving the bass is like falling in love. It’s a mysterious, noble and special thing, a lifelong passion that makes you feel great and terrible all at once.
58. The greatest thing about being in a band is the camaraderie of sharing a passion with other people.
59. A bass player is a true original: once you see one, you’ve seen them all. They’re like a diamond, you know it’s there but nobody ever sees it.
60. You’ve made it clear you want to rock the house with your double bass playing. Be confident, and let your sound do the talking.
61. You are not a bass player, you are a human being playing the greatest instrument of all time.
62. A bass player is like an artist. He or she can create beautiful things without needing any paint. It’s all in the hands, body and heart.
63. I play with a double bass. It’s like living in a city all by yourself, with just one friend.
64. Bass player, composer, and educator. I like the sound of the bass, and it’s a challenge to play it well.
65. Bass players are known for their crazy styles and bold personalities. Learn from the best.
66. Bass players are often relegated to being second fiddle. But no matter how many other instruments are in the band, they always stand out. Whatever it is he’s doing, it’s funky enough to be noticed.
67. A bass is the perfect instrument to showcase your musicality and creativity.
68. Being a bass player is like being in a band: It’s hard and easy at the same time.
69. Bass players are the unsung heroes of music. They’re the ones carrying a band, who you can’t see but know are there.
70. Bass players are the backbone of any orchestra, for starters. But their versatility also makes them a key players in any group that includes a string section. They can play with both hands and feet at the same time, which means they can perform on any keyboard or synthesizer.
71. There’s nothing quite like the feeling of playing the bass. It’s hard, warm, and comfortable, yet it forces you to work harder and think more. And when you’re done, it feels like you’ve accomplished something worthwhile.
72. When you play the bass, your hands must be as close to your heart as possible.
73. The bass is a powerful instrument. Powerful, loud, and fast—all the characteristics you want when you’re on stage.
74. When you pick up a bass, you are truly taking a step into the unknown. But when you play it, all the music in the world seems to fall into place.
75. A bass player is like a big, green arrow pointing the way forward. That’s right, we’re going that way!
76. The bass is a unique instrument. Each note speaks its language, and each player’s interpretation can be different.
77. When you play the double bass, two notes move at the same time. What one note does, the other does too.
78. I love the sound of a double bass. The resonance and depth it produces are unlike any other instrument I’ve played or heard.
79. Playing the bass, playing with others, and playing music that you enjoy is an incredible experience.
80. The ultimate goal is to play the bass with as much joy as possible and always remember that it’s not just a bass; it’s a vehicle for expression.
81. The double bass is one of the most versatile instruments in the world. It can be played by a single person, in a band with other instruments, or even as a soloist.
82. Music is life. It’s your heartbeat, and it comes from everywhere in your body. When you play, you breathe the air of another place, another time.
83. You can’t play bass without thinking about what happened in your life. It’s not just the notes, but everything that happened before they came out of your mouth.
84. A bass is the only instrument that makes you sound like an entire band.
85. The bass has the power to send shudders through your body, freeze your heart, and make you sweat.
86. When the bass player is in tune with his instrument and the music, everything else falls into place.
87. A bass player is a person who believes in all the things that are impossible to do.
88. A bass player is a true musician. They can play any part and they do it with such precision that they are always in the right place.
89. I’m a bass player. I play a pair of them. This means that I can go from being a gangly middle-aged man to a hipster in about five seconds flat.
90. Bass players are the unsung heroes of the music world. They keep rocking even as they go unnoticed—until you hear that bass rumble in your headphones.
91. Bass players are the best. They’re kind of like bass section superheroes who play their hearts out for you every show.
92. A musician who plays the double bass is a musician with a double personality, two sides of self.
93. Playing the bass is a workout for the body and mind. It’s also an exercise in patience, practice, and persistence.
94. Bass players are some of the nicest people. They’re friendly and nice to everybody but they never talk about themselves.
95. A bass player isn’t just a fabulous musician, but also full of life and energy.
97. A bass player is the king of his instrument. A true musician is not afraid to learn new things but knows when it’s time to play their best.
98. A bass player is like a coach on a soccer field—they can see the whole game, and make all of the decisions.
99. A bass player is a master of rhythm, harmony, melody, and counterpoint—all at the same time.
100. When you’re playing bass, you need to get your mind off what you’re playing and focus on playing the notes.
It’s all about the sound. Hey there. Thank you for going through the list of bass player quotes and sayings up there. I hope you were able to learn from it. Please don’t forget to comment, and share the post with others.